Picture
After getting in touch with The Foot Project earlier this year, I was given the opportunity to join them running clinics in 'The Jungle' refugee camp in Calais, for four days over the August bank holiday weekend.

As the year has gone on, media coverage of the migrant situation in general and 'The Jungle' has gradually disappeared. Part of the camp was bulldozed, leading many to think that the camp was no longer there. In reality, the camp is growing by the day, with almost 10,000 inhabitants squeezed into a smaller space than ever.

I got onto the coach in Bristol and then on to the ferry at Dover, with little idea of what to expect ahead. I had recently read Patrick Kingsley's 'The New Odyssey' which had given me a better idea of the hell that people have to endure to leave their homes and flee across the Mediterranean on expensive, overcrowded boats controlled by smugglers, but still had almost no idea what I would find in 'The Jungle'.

On the first day we picked up a car pass from the distribution centre and headed onto the camp - the police stopped us, checked our documents and the contents of the car and were happy to let us through. This was apparently the easiest it had ever been to get onto the site.

The first aid area was a triangle made up of 3 caravans. As we arrived, there was already a queue of people waiting to be seen. On this trip there were more volunteer doctors (mostly medical students) than there had been previously, so we ended up working outside the caravans, setting up on a large concrete block.

On the first day, the majority of what we saw was ankle sprains - a lot of which had come from playing football on the sandy pitch next to the camp! At first we thought this was a bit strange, having walked hundreds or thousands of miles and then spraining your ankle playing football - but many of the refugees have been stuck here for months, and once you're in 'The Jungle', there is very little to do.

After the first ten minutes or so of feeling completely overwhelmed, I settled into a rhythm - helping those that I could and directing others towards the doctors. It seemed that even with the warmer, dryer weather almost all of those coming in were complaining of a cough or sore throat. Taking any kind of history was a challenge, but with the support of a couple of the migrants who worked as interpreters around the first aid area every day, we usually worked it out.

I was completely blown away by how friendly and seemingly positive most people had managed to stay, despite the unrelenting adversity that they have faced and are facing. A few who spoke English shared some of their story with me, which was heartbreaking, but others preferred to joke and laugh. I had no idea of what the atmosphere would be like in the camp, but I felt completely comfortable and certainly at no point whatsoever felt threatened.

We returned on the second day to find the police in a less 'easy going' mood than before. They checked our passports as usual, but decided not to let us on the site in the car. As a result, we had to be dropped off outside the perimeter, walking across the dunes and into the camp from the side. The police simply don't want anybody there to help and make the situation more comfortable for the refugees.

After a flurry of ankle sprains on the first day, the second day was filled with various knee injuries. Unfortunately it became apparent that most of the injuries were traumatic, caused by being hit from the side with metal bars or clubs. While examining one Eritrean man, we realised that he had no medial collateral ligament at all in his knee, not a recent injury, but meant that his knee was able to bend sideways - I think we were more surprised by it than he was!

Leaving 'The Jungle' was a very strange feeling. Knowing that the camp is still there, getting bigger and bigger, more and more cramped, while we just headed off home left me feeling quite empty. Before we had even got home though, we were already planning the next trip and will be returning in October. The weather will be getting colder and wetter by then, so the need will be even greater. We will be focussing on taking out shoes and socks as well as our usual medical supplies, in particular to help the women and children in the camp.

Thank you so much to everybody who has donated and supported the cause - without you it wouldn't be possible.

Comments

Christine
02/09/2016 11:58am

It was a pleasure to work with you Jack.. See you in October!

24/09/2016 7:19am

Collecting sports memorabilia is a source of joy for many game enthusiasts, and sports jerseys are among the most popular memorabilia collected by enthusiasts around the world.

25/09/2016 11:28am

These are the Western Digital WD TV Live Plus and the very popular Apple TV. Both are fine units that serve slightly different purposes. Read about each.

25/09/2016 11:30am

Are you looking for an automated income stream that will let you enjoy life a little while you make money? That's the ideal situation right?

06/10/2016 1:49pm

Thanks for sharing this blog..Its very nice and I appreciate it..

12/10/2016 6:01am

Nice Blog..!! Thanks for sharing

Your efforts are good step for the people in fact very kind way of work thanks for sharing the inspirational article with us.

05/11/2016 11:46am

Its a best project of running clinics in 'The Jungle' refugee camp in Calais. Which help them to protect their foot and foot care tips in the jungle environment. Its really beneficial for them to protect their feets.

06/11/2016 9:58pm

Live cricket updates keeps a fan informed about latest happenings of matches. A true fan understands the value of live cricket updates that cannot be replaced by recorded match. Live cricket match connects fan to the ground's temperament.

24/11/2016 10:04am

A lightweight backpack with cooler offers a sufficiently sized holdall for taking refrigerated drinks or snacks on the go. Split into 2 to 3 separate compartments, a cooler/backpack comes with an insulated cooler (Thermo-Guard), often at the bottom-section, to maintain soda cans or light snacks within a desirable temperature range for quite a few hours.

27/11/2016 11:39am

Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative.

27/11/2016 11:51am

I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative.

28/11/2016 9:19am

All the local and international football match predictions for all the lovers of football and also soccer predictions and all the advance matches predictions from predictiondady.com

28/11/2016 9:20am

ISL is the indian Super League which is a famous football league of India. Now the ISL 2016 edition is going on perfectly and football lovers enjoy a lot.

30/11/2016 11:29am

Yoga is probably one of the safest options for losing weight as it ensures no side effect. If you are resorting to weight loss pills it may affect you adversely when taken the unregulated way. Even a reasonable dosage of weight shedding pills is sure to give you some side effects.

01/12/2016 2:46pm

This is amazing post, You can check PTCL speed test,

01/12/2016 2:57pm

befitz suggest you if you have a small budget then you can use our Best Wall Art Ideas For My Living Room in a smart way and have no worries for your home decor.

01/12/2016 3:12pm

This is a very good tips especially to those new to blogosphere, brief and accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one. A must read article.

18/12/2016 10:14am

Well I think The Foot Project is really great indeed. I only use my feet to ride the board although this mission of helping out those people in the jungle is really amazing, helping out the community, the charities are a great step.

26/12/2016 7:26am

Online sports betting is becoming very popular these days. Its popularity is due to the fact that many fans are closely following their favorite team. Many fans put their money at stake for their favorite team hoping that their team's victory would give them extra money.

30/12/2016 5:57am

It is significant to learn where online gambling is in today's highly commercialized world. This is not an easy discussion and will require us to expend time and effort if we were to seek enlightenment on this matter.

I should say only that it's awesome! The blog is informational and always produce amazing things.

03/01/2017 10:05am

Our treatments range from treating and managing nail conditions, foot and lower limb musculoskeletal injuries, diabetes assessments and nail surgeries.

08/01/2017 9:35am

Discover how to play the game and learn more about the game of Tchoukball.

29/01/2017 9:17pm

See more about the PSL 2017 schedule so you can't miss anything from this session.

Planning a family vacation - a camping outing! Make sure to take advantage of discount offered while buying for the entire family.

08/02/2017 4:33am

Download MyJio App version 3.2.05 Auto update disabled from below link. My Jio App 3.2.05 old version lets you generate Jio Barcode on any Android device. After download, follow steps in our article here to generate Jio Barcode.

24/02/2017 11:55pm

I found your website and read some articles your website and I realized that write has written the article very well. The food article is related to my websites to see it. Kindly, please check my website and give me feedback on it.
The Stunt Growth is all about, how you can keep yourself fit and what are the reasons of doing them in your daily life routine and how you can improve them day by day. What are the new tips and tricks about the stunt growth as the world getting modern day by day?

24/02/2017 11:57pm

The Reviews Truth is the website, which help the people to choose the right product from themselves because the review truth give the true reviews about the products so it can help people to get the best product. Please appreciate the work of the “Reviews Truth” and give us feedback to improve our free services to help this world.
We try to give reviews on almost all the products and some of them are listed below:
Fat Burning Kitchen by Mike Geary Ebook Reviews.
Old School New Body by Becky and Steve Holman Ebook Review.
Click4Surveys by Daniel Cooper Ebook Review.
I would be very happy if you visit my websites and give me feedback on it. There are many more products.

04/03/2017 3:25pm

hello sir, after I read the article you get to the bottom, It is very interesting to see, its content can provide benefits, and also the lessons, I really love it.

14/03/2017 10:20am

05/04/2017 3:00pm

Now you can get today match prediction for all the cricket matches

I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog .

I like the way you described the topic with such clarity. Thanks for Describing Everything.

Thank you so much for sharing. Your content was very helpful. You are a marvelous writer. Good work!

03/08/2017 7:13pm

as the year has gone on, media coverage of the migrant situation in general and 'The Jungle' has gradually disappeared

04/08/2017 12:23am

Well, you've done a great job! Like it!

We have technology, finally, that for the first time in human history allows people to really maintain rich connections with much larger numbers of people.The Internet has been the most fundamental change during my lifetime and for hundreds of years.

PartnerITechnologies is a worldwide pioneer in counselling, innovation, and outsourcing .Built up in 2013 IT administrations organization with more than 50 Workers.Making your organization exceed expectations with an incomprehensible low consumption.

04/08/2017 11:29am

PartnerITech is a worldwide pioneer in counselling, innovation, and outsourcing .Built up in 2013 IT administrations organization with more than 50 Workers

05/08/2017 11:51pm

There are a lot of claims by shapers that their new surfboard design and shape is new. The questions persists, are they really new? Many of these so-called new surfboard types and designs are descendents of the surfboards of the olden days. Some of them even go back to the original shapes surfed in Waikiki by the Hawaiian Beach Boys. Most of the new surfboard types and designs are really only changes in materials.

20/09/2017 3:23pm